Our Story - Hume New England
In 1941, New England Keswick was established in the beautiful Berkshires of Massachusetts. For seventy years it faithfully provided Christian camping with a deep desire to see students and adults come to know Jesus as Lord. Meanwhile, on the other side of the country, Hume Lake Christian Camps began their ministry in the Sierra Nevada's near King's Canyon National Park. Since 1946, Hume has served over one million campers and continues to clearly present the Gospel in each and every camp it offers. It was in 2010 that God allowed these two camps with the same passion and mission to collide.
New England Keswick had found themselves lacking the financial support needed to sustain camp and had been praying that God would provide a way to continue to use their land to bring people to Himself. The staff and Board of Directors at Hume had been praying and searching for nearly twenty years for property to start a camp on the East coast. It was an answer to these prayers that God had Keswick and Hume meet.
In the summer of 2011 Hume began to help run camp at Keswick, and by the following summer Hume New England was officially established. Hume's staff and leadership feels extremely privileged to have been welcomed into the New England community and has a deep respect for the tradition and culture it holds. It is Hume's most sincere desire to build lasting relationships with local churches in order to provide an outstanding camp experience for students and adults to grow in their faith and knowledge of Jesus Christ.
THE REST OF THE STORY - HUME LAKE CHRISTIAN CAMPS / HUME MINISTRY
In 1945, several hard-working, Christian men came together in the valley town of Dinuba, CA to discuss plans for a Christian Bible camp. They began regular prayer meetings to seek God’s will and plan. On January 9, 1946, these men purchased 320 acres of lakeshore property in Hume, CA. This included the Hume Lake Hotel, store, service station, post office, 22 cottages, and 22 boats. In the summer of 1946, 670 campers attended Hume Lake Conferences and were attended by 15 volunteer staff. The vision, patience, and labor of these men, in response to the Holy Spirit, birthed Hume Lake Christian Camps.
The conference center grounds at Hume Lake Christian Camps are dedicated to the glory of God and the proclaiming of the Kingdom of His Son, Jesus our Savior. Since that first summer of camping in 1946, more than a million young people and adults have been exposed to God’s love and wonderful plan for their lives through Hume's ministry.
Hume's ministry has followed the leading of God to expand it's reach to include camps in Hawaii, San Diego, Hume New England and internationally through partnerships as well as short-term missions trips. Wherever God leads, the mission is still the same.
We desire that each person coming into contact with this global ministry will:
- Accept Jesus Christ as their personal Savior
- Grow in their faith and Christian character development
- Establish the priorities of prayer, Bible study, and Christian fellowship while associating with a local church.
- Devote their lives in service to our Lord Jesus at home and abroad.
We will continue to emphasize ministries to youth.
Statement of belief
- We believe in the Scripture of the Old and New Testaments as verbally inspired by God, inerrant in the original writings, and that they are of supreme and final authority in faith and life.
- We believe in one God eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, and is true God and true man.
- We believe that man was created in the image of God; that he sinned, and thereby incurred not only physical death but also spiritual death, which is separation from God; and that all human beings are born with a sinful nature, and in the case of those who reach moral responsibility become sinners in thought, word, and deed.
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, as a representative and substitutionary sacrifice; and that all who believe in Him are justified on the grounds of His shed blood.
- We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, in His ascension to Heaven, in His present life there for us, as High Priest and Advocate.
- We believe in "that blessed hope," the personal, pre-millennial, and imminent return of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
- We believe that all who receive by faith the Lord Jesus Christ are born again of the Holy Spirit and, thereby, become children of God.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved, and the everlasting, conscious punishment of the lost.
- We believe in the great commission which our Lord has given to His Church to evangelize the world, and that this evangelization is the great mission of the Church.
Board OF DIRECTORS
MEMBERS - (as of 2017)
Greg Smith Chairman
Rick Parkinson Vice Chairman
Greg Mercier Secretary
Terry Scranton Treasurer